Sunday, April 10, 2011

Japan Quilt


Our church runs a humanitarian aid organization that sends supplies to areas that have had natural disasters or that have other needs. They have recently had a need for quilts and so our local women's organization has decided to make some. So this is what we have been doing with every spare moment this past week. Cutting strips, sewing, ironing... Jacob was surprisingly interested in all of this and got very involved with putting things together. It is a lot of work but whenever I would get frustrated I would think about the people in Japan who have lost everything. Jacob and I talked a lot about why we were making it and he started calling it our Japan quilt. I have no idea where it will end up but it was neat to share that opportunity with him to talk about other's needs and what we can do to help. Then he surprised me with an envelope of coins on Friday. He said he wanted to give this money to help people in need. He gave a dollar and 52 cents. He gets paid a penny per rock or stick that he picks up out of the yard. It was hard earned money he gave and I was proud of him for his generosity and desire to help others.

No comments: