Friday, January 8, 2010

Food Storage

So this may seem strange to some but what I really have been wanting is so food storage. Why? because of the security it offers. What would happen if there was a major food shortage? natural disaster? my husband lost his job? All I have to think about is my kids being hungry and it makes me want to plan for things like this. So first I started stocking my pantry with lots of extras of everything we use weekly. I packed the pantry until it could hold no more and calculated that we could live for about 3 months on the food inside. Then the only thing I asked for for Christmas was long term food storage to keep in the basement. We already had some but I doubled that with Christmas with things like wheat that I could make bread out of and beans, etc. I'm so excited. We have a couple of 72 hour kits and I'm trying to buy extras of diapers, cleaners and paper products. I love the self reliance that it offers. If something were to happen--I wouldn't be waiting on the government to come take care of our family and we would be able to help those around us. When Jacob wanted to know why this was important to me--I read him the story of Joseph of Egypt from the bible. Store extra in times of plenty to plan for times of scarcity. Think about it---it's smart.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: